Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Lemony Beet Stem Polenta

Yes, you did read that correctly: beet stem polenta.

Before I go into an explanation I must tell my readers that my blog will be taking another hiatus. D and I will be traveling to Costa Rica on Tuesday and will be back in Chicago on the 23rd. Then, on the 24th we head to Columbus Ohio for Christmas, on January 2nd Daniele's mom and sister arrive from Italy, and on January 6th we will be introducing them to my lovely hometown of St. Louis. It will be a busy, hectic month with few updates, but don't worry, there will be plenty of updates and new recipes in the new year! I am hoping for some cookbooks for Christmas, especially crock-pot or ethnic cookbooks ::hint hint, and with lots of photos please:: so I'm sure I will be testing those out in 2011. Also, I'm sure there will be updates throughout December including Costa Rican cuisine and information about the food throughout holiday celebrations.

But now, back to beat stem polenta. My friend Jenna, visiting from Ecuador, came over last week for dinner. She is a vegetarian and told me that she would bring over some veggies for cooking. I admit I was a bit hesitant when she pulled out the stems of beats from her bag (including the leaves). But, we chopped up the stems and greens and sauteed them in olive oil for about 10 minutes with 1/2 an onion, 1 chopped garlic clove, and some salt and red pepper flakes. Afterwords we squeezed the juice of one lemon over the mixture. The sauce was served over polenta and was wonderful! It's amazing what you can do with vegetables, especially the parts that are usually thrown away. Daniele and I might be experimenting with this idea more in the new year, but for now enjoy the polenta-filled photos.

The beet polenta was served with a side-salad and sauteed asparagus.




No comments:

Post a Comment