Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Friday, January 21, 2011

Double Chocolate Oreo Cake

If you have been following this blog for very long, you have probably noted that I rarely cook desserts. There are many reasons for this. One, I am simply not very good at baking. I can never get the timing and ingredients just right and when I compare myself to other people I know who regularly make bake goods mine just don't compare. The second reason is that I simply don't' have a sweet tooth. Don't get me wrong, just like everyone else I get the occasional craving for chocolates, ice cream, and candies but if I have to make a choice between cheese and crackers or a piece of chocolate cake I would almost always go with cheese and crackers.

But, some occasions do call for a really well made cake and one of those occasions is BIRTHDAYS! You may have noted from my last entry that D's mom was in the photo-his family came for a visit two weeks ago and while they were here D's sister celebrated her 24th birthday. I prepared an Oreo cake to celebrate, and it was a hit. And the best part was that this recipe gave me an excuse to buy Oreo cookies, which we now have leftover in the house. If you at all like Oreos, give this recipe a try at your next celebratory occasion.

Double Chocolate Oreo Cake
1 pkg. (2-layer size) devil's food chocolate cake mix
4 squares  BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 pkg.  (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups  thawed COOL WHIP Whipped Topping
12 OREO Cookies, crushed 
 
Prepare and bake cake batter in two round pans. In the meantime, prepare the filling and frosting. Beat cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl with a mixer. Stir in cool whip and crushed cookies.
When the cake is cooked and has cooled, place the cream cheese filling in between the two layers. For the topping, melt butter and chocolate in the microwave or on the stove. Let the mixture harden for about 5-10 minutes and spread on the top of the cake. 

Keep the cake in the fridge until serving. Happy (now late) birthday Jo!









 

11 comments:

  1. Oh yum, I love anything with cookies and cream flavor. That cake looks fantastic. I'm starting a new linky on my blog tomorrow called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, that is a huge, delicious sounding cake! unlike you, i could eat sweets all day, everyday, and usually do, its terrible really. wish i had a piece of this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Oreo cake looks wonderful and easy to make! gotta try it soon.

    I'm having the very first GIVEAWAY on my blog. Please stop by to submit an entry. Good Luck.
    http://utry.it/2011/01/happy-birthday-to-meand-very-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for linking this up with Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious! That thick filling layer is just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was really delicious. Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was very good as Jo, the celebrated, said in the last comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Laura,

    Just wanted to share the shout out I gave you at my blog as I recreated this cake for my son's birthday party! Thanks so much it was SOOOO GOOD!

    http://schragesoapbox.blogspot.com/2011/02/davids-double-layer-oreo-one-birthday.html

    ReplyDelete