Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Tasty Vegetarian Slow-Cooker Potato Soup

Hi blog, it's been awhile. I apologize to all of my loyal fans out there who have been anxiously sitting at home waiting for me to update my blog. (I'm sure you're out there!). Things have been busy in Chicago and between holiday travel, out-of-town visitors, a job search, and an apartment search there has been little time for updates, or for cooking new recipes for that matter. But we hope to get back into the swing of things soon and in the meantime, we have a few recipes we cooked and enjoyed at the tail end of the holiday season.

For Christmas, my mom gave me a crockpot cookbook so I have been testing out a few recipes from there. Of course, nothing cooked in a crockpot tastes less than wonderful. My favorite so far has been this very easy potato soup. Sounds simple, but the soup is perfect for a cold, relaxing day and makes great leftovers.

Tasty Vegetarian Slow-Cooker Potato Soup
  • 5-6 cupes cubed peeled potatoes
  • 1 medium-sized chopped onion
  • 2 celery stalks chopped
  • 1 1/2 carrots thinly sliced
  • 5 cups water
  • 1/4 cups butter
  • 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 can (12 oz) evaporated skim milk
  • fresh parsley
  • chives
  • Parmesan rind
Combine the vegetables, water, butter, bouillon, salt, and pepper. Cook for 7 hours on high. Add the milk, parsley, and some fresh parmesan as well as parmesan rind. Let the mixture cook together for about one more hour.

Serve warm and top with chives.




We hope to try out some of our new kitchen gadgets in the upcoming weeks-Daniele is particularly excited about the pasta maker and we will be making our own noodles at some point this week, so be looking for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment