Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Thursday, October 15, 2009

A Lifetime of Updates

Lately, I've felt inspired to take on each and every challenge that comes my way. I feel strongly that life is about experience, and its these experiences and challenges that keep me striving to be a better person. I don't like to own "things." I moved about a month ago with about two suitcases full of clothes, five boxes, a guitar, a bike, and a dresser. I find that refreshing--to not own much but be able to pick up at any moment and change my lifestyle.

I've had some moments in these past few weeks where I love my job. And I've had some moments where I hate it. Yesterday, I went to an FDA hearing for Fampradine---a symptomatic treatment for MS which assists with walking difficulties. The drug was approved by the FDA. I had two clients that testified in hopes that this drug would help them and improve their lives. One who wants to play ball with his son, the other who needs to care for her mother and has difficulties doing it because of her walking disability. The other eight testimonies were equally moving; some of the testifiers had even been on the clinical trial for this drug with successful results. As I sat there, listening to each individual share their life story in 4 minutes or less, I felt truly blessed for my job and encouraged by what I do. I was moved to tears.

Yesterday was not the only time I've been moved to tears in these past few weeks--it seems to be happening more and more often. Maybe its because as I get older, and I see that things never seem to change, it makes me sad and angry. When I see someone homeless on the streets, obviously hungry and cold---this brings me to tears. There is nothing I can do; the amount of money I could offer is not enough to change this individual's life. And even if I could or I did give money, this is only a band-aid to an ongoing problem. Especially when I read Thomas Pogge (philosopher) and he notes multiple times that only 1% of the developed countries wealth could eliminate world poverty----I begin to feel hopeless.

So I've started to do things for myself, to better my own life, to reach my own goals. Next year, I will run the Chicago marathon. There, I've said it in a public forum so I better actually do it. Eventually, I will move back to Chicago so I can be with my beau, instead of flying back and forth. I will travel, at some point in the next year, to a foreign country that is new and unexplored by me. I will join a gym, taking dancing lessons, and possibly continue yoga/pilates. Okay, so these things aren't particularly adventurous, but I enjoy them and thats all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment