Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sun Dried Tomato, Basil, and Pine Nut Bagels

You may have seen my other bagel recipes last fall. Although I do not particularly enjoy baking, and my breads usually do not turn out to be successful, I can say this: I love making (and eating) my own bagels! They are so much better than the ones you can get at the store and you can make them in whatever flavor you enjoy most.

I had some extra sun dried tomatoes from a few other recipes we made, so this is the flavor I decided to use for this particular version.

Sun Dried Tomato, Basil, and Pine Nut Bagels
1 cup warm water
1 package yeast
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 teaspoons dried basil
6 tablespoons tomato sauce
1.5 cups wheat flour
1.5 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt

Begin by adding your 1 package of yeast to the cup of warm water. Stir and wait for about 10 minutes for the yeast to activate. While waiting, soak your sun-dried tomatoes in some warm water to make sure they are soft.

In a large bowl, mix together flours, salt, basil, and pine nuts. When the sun-dried tomatoes are soft, chop them into small pieces and add them to the mixture as well (Save the water they were sitting in because you can add some later for extra flavor). Gradually mix in the yeast and water mixture to form a dough. Add one tablespoon olive oil and 4-6 tablespoons of tomato sauce for extra tomato flavor. Mix together to form one consistency. If the mixture seems wet and sticky, add some more flour. If the mixture seems dry, you can add a bit of the sun-dried tomato water to moisten. When it seems your dough is a good consistency, cover and let the bread rise for an hour.

After the bread has about doubled in size, form into 10-12 small balls and poke a hole in the center. In a large pot, boil 1/2 gallon of water. Add 3-4 bagels to the water and boil for 6 minutes, turning halfway. After all the bagels have been boiled, arrange on a baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 35-40 minutes, until golden-brown on top.

Enjoy your bagels with cream cheese (or whatever topping you prefer!)






No comments:

Post a Comment