Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Winter Beef and Vegetable Soup

Okay, so I'm slow to update. What can I say, we've moved and I've started a new job. The blog is not dying though, now that we're mostly settled in our new place we have some cooking plans in the works. Unfortunately, I cannot find my crockpot cookbook post-move (!), but this means that I've thought about some other non-crockpot recipes we've been wanting to try. In order to celebrate valentines day and our anniversary-one week late, I know-we plan on making use of our homemade ravioli maker. I'm also thinking that Roquefort soup, carrot soup, baked potato soup (can you tell I'm in a soup mood?), and something with yellow lentils are all in the works...plus we've been talking about making meatloaf for awhile.

Although now it's almost 60 degrees outside (!), just over a week ago there was a little thing called a blizzard. It was cold. We needed something to tide us over. Therefore, on "blizzard day" I cooked a beef stew in the crockpot. Easily adaptable for your tastes. Unfortunately, the recipe is in the crockpot cookbook that I lost, but I've written it here to the best of my ability for you to replicate.

Winter Beef and Vegetable Soup
1 lb ground beef
1 medium size onion, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1 cup green beans, chopped
1 cup potatoes, cubed
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbs oregano
1 tbs salt
1 tbs pepper
other spices to taste
4 cups beef broth
2 cups water

Begin by browning the beef on the stove. Add the onion for a few moments. Pour onion and beef mixture into crockpot. Add sliced veggies, spices, broth, and water. Cook on low for 7 hours. Enjoy warm! Keep plenty for leftovers.




No comments:

Post a Comment