Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Curried Cauliflower Soup

Fall has arrived which means cooler weather is here and it's time to bring out the crockpot! I always get a bit excited at the beginning of what I call 'soup season' because in this time period there are so many wonderful and creative ways to use fresh vegetables in soup. I could make a soup every day during the fall and winter months, and no two soups would be the same! But, the best part is that I don't have to make a soup everyday, because when I start making soups in the crockpot I have lunch leftovers for Daniele and myself for at least a few days. Oh, so wonderful.

I began "soup season" with a curried cauliflower soup. Something a bit different than what I'm used to when it comes to soup, but according to Daniele this soup was a great success (and quite easy to make).

Curried Cauliflower Soup
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 teaspooons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • 1 head cauliflower, cut into 1 inch florets
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • Salt and pepper
Microwave the onion, oil, curry powder, and ginger in a bowl for five minutes.

Stir broth and cauliflower into the slow cooker. Cover and cook until cauliflower is tender, about 6-8 hours on low.

Puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Feel free to do this in small batches. Stir in the cream and add additional chicken broth if needed. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

So easy! It's great. More soups are on the way...including a tortilla soup I will be making this week and a couple different twists on chili.

I apologize for the poor-quality photo. Admittedly, this is not a very photogenic soup. But that doesn't mean it didn't taste great!

No comments:

Post a Comment