Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Beef Chili

I was never a huge fan of chili, but yet, when the weather starts turning cold I always get excited about that very first batch. I have featured three different types of chili on this blog: vegetarian chili, white chicken chili, and turkey chili. I took note of these three types and realized that I had never made for Daniele just a traditional, beef chili. I knew that needed to be the first chili of the season.

I am also excited about making a couple other chili spin-offs this fall/winter including: Moroccan Beef Chili with Chickpeas and Raisins, Black Bean Chili, and maybe even Tequila and Lime Turkey Chili.

But for now, back to the traditional version:

Beef Chili
  • 1 slice sandwich bread, torn into small pieces
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 pound+ ground beef
  • Salt and pepper
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 3 onions, minced
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 28 oz can tomato puree
  • 28 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 2 15 oz cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tabelspoon brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons minced can chipotle chili in adobo sauce
Begin by mashing the bread and milk together in a large bowl, and mixing in the ground beef. Season with salt and pepper. 

Heat oil in a skillet and add the onions, chili powder, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for ten minutes. Add in beef mixture until cooked, approximately five minutes. Stir in one cup of tomato puree. Transfer to slow cooker.

Stir remaining tomato puree, diced tomatoes, beans, soy sauce, brown sugar, and chipotles into the slow cooker. Cook for 8 hours on low.

Serve warm. Top with shredded cheese and sour cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment