Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Best Vegetarian Chili

It's fall and the weather is getting cooler, meaning it's time for chili and also crockpot recipes! I always get excited about cooking something in my crockpot. It's so easy, and everything is prepared by the time I come home from work. This chili is the best I've ever had, and I hope you try it yourself at home-if there are just two of you, you will have leftovers for lunch for almost a week (but nobody will complain).

The Best Vegetarian Chili
olive oi1
2 medium onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon salt
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chile peppers, drained
2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn


Mix all ingredients together, put in crockpot, and cook on low for 8 hours. Stir occasionally. Serve with abundant sour cream and grated cheese.

Tips:  Drain the tomatoes before adding them to the crockpot, but keep about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the extra juice to add to the chili. Also, try to buy low sodium or no sodium beans. If this is not possible, rinse the beans with water to remove some of the extra salt.





No comments:

Post a Comment