Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Great Meatloaf Disaster of 2011

Last week, I got real excited about trying some new recipes. We had been talking about making meatloaf for awhile so I decided to give it a go...in my crockpot of course!

So, on Monday night I prepared the meatloaf because I knew on Tuesday I would need to work well into the evening. The loaf needed to cook about 6 hours on low so I instructed D to plug it in, turn it on, and make sure the pot was getting warm before he left to teach his class that morning.

We all know what's coming next. D had the best intentions of course. In fact, he thought he had followed my instructions. But he forgot the last part of that sentence: make sure the pot was getting warm. Apparently the outlet the crockpot was plugged into did not work. Oops.

So that's right, my lovely raw meat and egg mixture was sitting out at room temperature for 8 hours. Eww. My inclination was to throw it away but D convinced me to cook it to see what would happen. So that's what we did. I didn't eat much of it after it was finished (I didn't want to be poisoned), but D did eat it, said it was tasty, and most importantly did not die. So here's the meatloaf crockpot recipe if you want to give it a go.

Meatloaf
1.5 lbs ground meat (split evenly between veal, beef, and pork)
2/3 cup bread crumbs
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 small grated onion (about 2 tablespoons)
1 tsp sage

In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together and form into a loaf. Put in crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours.

We preferred our meatloaf without the traditional meatloaf topping, however, if you like you could mix together a dressing of ketchup, brown sugar, and nutmeg and toss it on top of the meatloaf about 15 minutes before you serve. D prefers his with mayo.

I'm glad D enjoyed the meatloaf. And probably next time he will remember to make sure the crockpot is getting warm before leaving the apartment. Luckily my mom convinced me to forgive him. After all, it won't be the only mistake he ever makes.




1 comment: