Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Tuscan Bean Soup

I know you were all on the edge of your seats wondering what in the world I would do without my crockpot cookbook. You may remember that I misplaced it about two months ago when we were moving. Strangly, the crockpot cookbook was the only thing that I lost! Unbelievable. I thought eventually it would turn up but it never did.

So, I decided to purchase another new and improved crockpot cookbook! And actually I like this one even better. The book, Slow Cooker Revolution, not only includes great recipes but tips on what specific brands and ingredients to purchase that are best for the crockpot! It also advises you on what shapes you should purchase your meat (i.e. short and fat pork roast is better than long and skinny) and explains why you might want to microwave some ingredients before putting them in your crockpot. It's great and I am very excited. So, to you readers who do not yet have a slow cooker (DAN) purchase one so you can try some of these great recipes. Also, I highly recommend the cookbook (obviously).

We had some leftover pancetta, so for our first recipe we decided to make Tuscan Bean Soup. I was also particularly thrilled to try using dry beans in a recipe. It was great, and we have some at home in the freezer wanting to be eaten for lunch in the next couple of weeks...

Tuscan Bean Soup
1 large onion
8 garlic cloves
6 oz pancetta
3 cups chicken broth
4 cups water
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 lb dry cannellini beans
1 tablespoon olive oil
parmesan rind
grated parmesan cheese

Prepare this recipe the night before. Then turn your crockpot on low the next morning and you are good to go!

Soak your cannellini beans in 3 quarts water with 1 tablespoon salt overnight. Begin cooking by prepping the other ingredients. Mince the garlic and onion. I used my new food processor that my mom got me for Christmas: I am very excited about using this new tool to cut onions, I hate cutting onions! Also mince the pancetta. Cook pancetta on the stove in olive oil for about 10 minutes. Add minced garlic, onion, and red pepper. Cook for about 10 more minutes, until the onions are soft and start to brown. Add one cup chicken broth to the mixture and place in crockpot. Add the remaining water, chicken broth, and rosemary to the crockpot. If you have parmesan rind, also add it to the slow cooker. Refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, rinse the salt off of your beans and place in the slow cooker Cook on low for 7-9 hours. Our soup was great, but a bit salty. If your soup is also too salty for your taste: simply dilute with a bit of water. More soup for everyone! Serve warm with grated parmesan sprinkled on top. Enjoy with a salad, or bruschetta!



No comments:

Post a Comment