Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Monday, August 1, 2011

Chicken Croquettas

For my birthday, I decided to cook a Spanish feast. Chicken croquettas, salmorejo, and Spanish tortilla.  I remember my time in Spain very fondly, and my host mom, Lola, was one of the best chefs I've ever met. I often remember the things she cooked and my mouth waters. Unfortunately, I can't find many of the same ingredients here in the United States so for a few of her specialties I will have to wait until I can return...

Salmorejo was always one of my favorites, so making that made sense. Perfect for summer. I also regularly enjoyed croquettas while in Spain and although it did not sound like too smart of an idea to make a fried dish in 100+ degree heat...well...it was my birthday so I gave in. The tortilla was an add on, because I felt like it made sense to make a third Spanish dish. Why not, right?

I was a bit hesitant to try making croquettas because I had never made them before, but they turned out magnificently and I'm already craving them again. The salmorejo was a hit (as always) and the tortilla...well...we just won't talk about the tortilla, will we, Dan? (Let's just say that most of it ended up on top of the stove burner instead of on our plates. Oops). But the best part of the meal was, as always, the company. Thanks guys!

Chicken Croquettas
1 large chicken breast
1 garlic clove
2 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup flour (keep some extra laying around)
2/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
canola oil (for frying)
1 egg
breadcrumbs
salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add the flour and cook for one minute. Stir in the milk until smooth and thick, cover and set aside.

Cut chicken breasts into one inch cubes. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the chicken and garlic. Cook for five minutes. When the chicken is browned, add the contents into a food processor and process until mixed. Stir the chicken mixture into the butter and flour sauce, stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Let cool.

Once cooled, shape the mixture into eight small sausage-type shapes. If the dough mixture seems too sticky, add more flour (we ended up almost doubling the amount of flour the recipe called for). Coat each croquetta in a beaten egg and then roll in breadcrumbs.

Heat canola oil in a large pan. When hot, lower the croquettas into the oil and fry for about 4 minutes. Cool off on a paper towel to absorb some of the oil and then serve.




And I still need to add more Spanish dishes to my repertoire. Next up...pulpo a la gallega and paella.

1 comment:

  1. You say you won't talk about them, then spread lies! I would say that I ruined no more than 40%, probably closer to 30 :P

    The croquettas were quite yummy! I'm excited to try them myself sometime.

    ReplyDelete