Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Friday, July 29, 2011

Chilled Cherry-Plum Soup

 I cooked this one per the recommendation of my friend Anna Marie. I was very curious about a cold cherry soup (I love cherries!) and this seemed perfect for summer. And the best part is she wrote this recipe up and e-mailed it to me, so this recipe and write up is all thanks to Ms. Anna Marie. Thank you! I love when that happens. (Does anyone else want to do that?)

This recipe was very enjoyable. I wouldn't make it often, but for the occasional fruity indulgence it was delicious.

Chilled Cherry Plum Soup
(from the Enchanted Broccoli Forest, by Mollie Katzen)

1 1/2 lb red or black plums
1 lb pitted sweet cherries
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/3 cup dry red wine
2 tbsp honey (or more to taste)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
a pinch of dried crushed mint
thin slices of kiwi or lime for garnish

Pit the plums and chop coarsely.  Put cherries, plums and salt in a heavy saucepan (about 2 1/2 to 3 quart size).  Place on low heat, covered, and cook for 5-10 minutes.

Add ginger, mustard, wine and honey, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.

Remove from heat and cool.  Either puree half in a blender or food processor and return to the pot, or puree with an immersion blender until still a bit chunky.

Whisk in the buttermilk and mint and chill until very cold, at least a few hours.  Serve with floating lime or kiwi slices as garnish.





And the best part of cooking a recipe that uses wine as one of the ingredients...

1 comment:

  1. Ha, I went to Binny's specifically to buy a half bottle of wine for this meal! (They had a nice $6 one.) I'm glad you enjoyed the soup!

    ReplyDelete