Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

A couple of weekends ago, I made baked potato soup. One of my favorites from when I was a kid, and this one really hit the spot.

Just a disclaimer to all my readers out there who claim they can't cook my recipes because they don't have a crockpot. Well, first of all, you should get one! But second of all, that's not true. I think any of these recipes could be replicated using a more traditional oven or stove method-I just can't give you the cooking times.

But for now, back to the soup, which was awesome and again, an adapted recipe from SlowCooker Revolution.

Baked Potato Soup
8 slices bacon
1 minced onion
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablepoons flour
4 cups chicken broth
3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
chives

Cook the bacon until crisp, set aside. Pour all of the grease out of the pan except 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat. Add your onion, garlic, and thyme to the fat and cook until soft and brown, about 10 minutes. Add flour and then 1 cup broth. Place mixture in slow cooker.

Stir 3 cups broth and potatoes into crockpot and cook for 6 hours on a low setting. After cooked, mash most of the potatoes, stir cheddar into soup, and mix in cream. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 more minutes until warm throughout. Serve with extra cheddar, chives, bacon, and whatever other goodies you want!

This soup is great. Feel free to make any additions that make things more suitable for your own taste.

Just a couple of reminders, if you haven't already, check out my new running tab which will give you updates on my marathon training progress. And secondly don't forget about my reader contest. Deadline: May 1st. I already have one submission (in addition to Amanda's submission from earlier), so get your entries in. We would be glad to cook you dinner!

Alright, now back to my kitten! That's right...kitten! I have a new foster kitten---9 weeks old, so adorable and cute...must...play...with...kitten.




1 comment:

  1. I made it! It was good. Though I was a bit of a wimp; only put in half the amount of cheese, and used half and half instead of cream. Also: did not skin potatoes. Why would you skin potatoes? Waste of time, and the most delicious part goes away. Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete