Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Slow Cooker Tortilla with Lime-Garlic Aioli

That's right, I made Spanish tortilla in a crock pot! This recipe was from one of my crockpot cookbooks and needless to say, I was a bit curious to try it out. All my readers know how much I love the slow cooker. I've actually been trying to get away from that lately but no such luck...the crockpot is so easy and convenient, I love having dinner ready for me when I get home and I especially love that I can smell it as I am walking up the stairs to my apartment...That being said, we do have some non-slow cooker recipes in the works for this week including a lime marinated swordfish steak and a spring vegetable couscous. Spring is FINALLY here!

As a sidenote before I get into the recipe, I now have five entries for my blogger contest (which ends tomorrow). Submit your entries by 11:59pm on May 1st, and the photos will be posted for reader vote on May 2nd in the evening. I don't usually get that many comments so if the reader vote doesn't pan out, Daniele and I will need to dictate a winner. We will play fair, I promise. Reader voting 'rules' will be posted on May 2nd with the submissions.

Slow Cooker Tortilla
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small thin pieces
9 eggs
1/4 cup chopped salami
1 large minced egg
1 minced red pepper
6 minced garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
olive oil

Begin by lining your slow cooker with aluminum foil cover and spray with vegetable oil spray (I admit I did not do this second step and my tortilla stuck to the foil, so be sure to do this, it was very frustrating!). Chop vegetables according to the instructions above. Microwave potatoes and 1/4 cup olive oil in a covered bowl, stirring occasionally, about seven minutes.

In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil and add onions, bell pepper, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for about 8 minutes. Toss into bowl with potatoes. Transfer this mixture into the slow cooker and smooth into an even layer. Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl and pour over potatoes. Cover and cook on low for four hours and then serve warm or cold depending on how you like it.

This tortilla was a hit, especially with the salami, and could be prepared in the more traditional way if you don't have a slow cooker. But, part of what made this recipe so great was the garlic aioli that I prepared with it. Using my food processor (which I love nearly as much as the slow cooker and is also something you should invest in...I mean, I never need to mince another onion again!) I processed 1 large egg yolks, juice of 1 lime, 1 garlic clove, a pinch of salt, sugar, and pepper together until combined. Then, I drizzled 3 tablespoons vegetable oil and 3 tablespoons olive oil in the food processor while it was still running. Run the food processor for about one minute until the mixture is smooth, and then serve with your tortilla. I know your mom always told you not to eat raw eggs but, I did, I haven't died yet, and it was great!


1 comment:

  1. What a creative way of making a tortilla! I'm going to have to try this, though probably without the salami.

    ReplyDelete