Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Demera Ethiopian Restaurant: Chicago

As you all probably read in a previous post, Daniele's birthday was Thursday, April 7th. To have a day-of celebration, we decided to eat out at Demera Ethiopian Restaurant.

Let me preface this by saying that I have not traditionally done restaurant reviews on this blog. However, given that the number of readers on my blog has increased, I'd like to try to write more often. I think that keeping this blog with a general food focus and also blogging about restaurants we eat at could be one way for me to do that. Also because I feel like we're eating out more often lately. This weekend we are attending CIMM Fest and will be eating out in Wicker Park both tonight and tomorrow. And on Thursday, my cousin Julie is visiting from Namibia (on a break from the Peace Corps) and we will be meeting her at a fine Mexican establishment.  I also might write about unique products/ingredients that I come across. It just depends!

So, back to the review. I had actually purchased a Groupon ($40 for $20) at Demera about a year ago. Daniele and I had eaten at Demera before and loved it, but I guess we got busy and never got around to going...for a full year! Demera is pretty far up north, right across the street from The Green Mill.

Right now, Demera is under a bit of construction which doesn't make the place too visibly appealing, but that doesn't matter. I promise if you go here you will get good food and good service at a great price. You will be happy. If you have never tried Ethiopian (or even if you have) you will probably not have any idea what to order. But to be honest, it doesn't even matter because everything at this restaurant is good. Just pick a few things. Or, ask the manager, who is very friendly and would be glad to tell you his favorite dishes (which is almost everything on the menu). I highly suggest the goden tibs (very fatty lamb ribs): not for picky eaters as this will be an extremely fatty and undercooked piece of lamb, but it might be one of the best things I've ever eaten. That won't work for you vegetarians and vegans out there, but there are actually plenty of dishes that you will be able to eat. I like the gomen and could probably eat it everyday for the rest of my life (seasoned and cooked kale) but it was not Daniele's favorite.

Anyways my point is, go here. If you haven't had Ethiopian, try it. If you don't like it, who cares, your horizons will be broadened! Oh, and try the honey wine. Very sweet, but tasty, and goes well with their spicy dishes (which aren't really THAT spicy, don't be scared).

Our only disappointment for the evening was with the dessert...but our waiter quickly provided a satisfactory solution. For Daniele's birthday, we really wanted to try the hibist volcano for dessert. But, they were out! The waitress offered the tiramisu on the house. Now, we're all for free stuff, but neither of us really like tiramisu because of the strong coffee flavor. However, we were much to quick to judge because this tiramisu was the best I've ever had, and Daniele would probably make a similar remark.

Okay, so if I haven't sold you yet, I'm probably not going to. Go visit Demera. You will not be let down!

I guess I should have added a long time ago one thing that is special about Ethiopian is that you don't use silverware! Rather, you use a special bread to scoop up your main dish. So, not only is the food tasty but it is also fun to eat. And, could be fun for kids as well, because although some kids may not be willing to try many new foods...they might still find it fun to eat with their hands!


2 comments:

  1. both Iolanda and I bought the same groupon, we've both been there before and we've been planning to go there for a year but haven't managed yet, too!! unbelievable. I bet it's also expiring soon.. time to go!! love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the Groupon expires mid-May. You must go! So tasty! Feel free to invite me ;)

    You will love it.

    ReplyDelete