Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Spicy Lime Marinade for Swordfish

So I guess Daniele and I did take a short-term crockpot break.

If you ever shop at Trader Joe's, you should check out their frozen fish selection. They have a great selection of frozen fish which are very reasonably priced. The taste is the same as purchasing fresh fish, and you are doing the environment a favor as well. When purchasing fresh fish, if you do not live near where the fish are caught, these fish would need to be shipped to you very quickly and sold within a very short time frame. But, when purchasing frozen, the fish can be frozen immediately after catching and then transported in a more reasonable and environmentally friendly fashion to your location.

Earlier in 2011, I went to Trader Joe's and stocked up. One thing I purchased was swordfish steaks and I spent some time brainstorming how I wanted to cook them. Finally, I found a lime marinade I wanted to try. Easy, and I had most of the ingredients already sitting around the house. We gave this recipe an A+.

Spicy Lime Marinade
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (I used green pepper hot sauce)
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Pour over two swordfish steaks and let marinate for 2 hours. Transfer steaks to an oven-safe pan and discard most of the marinade. Broil on high for 15-20 minutes until cooked thoroughly, flipping once. Serve with your favorite vegetable (we served with sauteed collard greens and tomatoes.)


No comments:

Post a Comment