Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Tomato-Mac

I haven't posted a slow cooker recipe on my blog in four entries, so I better get back into that routine! That's a joke, but seriously, we all know how much I love that slow cooker.

Usually my recipes have some sort of nutritional value. But, I admit that even I sometimes need a good 'comfort food.' The first weekend in May I solved my craving by making a mac-and-cheese with tomato dish in the crockpot. We've all had the traditional mac-and-cheese from the box, but it is so much better when you make it from scratch. Give it a shot!

One warning I have about this dish is that the cooking time will vary by crockpot and you will need to watch your recipe carefully. The recipe I was following suggested a cooking time of 2 hours on high. I was planning on cooking for 3 hours on low, however, within one hour and a half of cooking the meal was finished. Unfortunately, I had a yoga class to go to and therefore, my noodles were slightly overcooked...but the recipe was still tasty! You will know when your tomato-mac is finished when the macaroni noodles are soft.

This recipe will serve 4-6 people.

Tomato-Mac
14 oz petite diced tomatoes
1 12oz can evaporated milk
1 12oz can condensed cheedar cheese soup
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheese in the flavor of your choice (I used parmesan)
1/2 pound (half of a box) elbow macaroni

Begin by lining your slow cooker with foil and coating in vegetable oil spray. This will be important so your macaroni noodles don't stick to the side of your slow cooker.

In a large pan, bring tomatoes, evaporated milk, condensed soup, water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cayenne pepper to simmer on the stove. Adding more or less cayenne pepper will make your mac and cheese more or less spicy (the amount I have included in this recipe will give it a little kick). Slowly whisk in shredded cheese until melted and then stir in macaroni.

Transfer mixture to slow cooker. Cook for 1.5 hours on low. Stir the pasta, adding a little bit of hot water to create the right consistency. Enjoy. This recipe will make great leftovers!

 I should add, in case you are worried about the quantities pictured below, I actually halved the recipe I used for the blog because it made a ridiculous ammt of Tomato-Mac. (But at least I have plenty of frozen leftover lunches!)





Just a sidenote, in case you are still with me. D and I are in the process of planning our wedding and we are stuck on the food, which is obviously very important to us. We are doing a reception in the mid-afternoon. We want something unique and tasty, that most people will enjoy. So, I'm curious to all the readers out there, what is a type of food that you have always wanted to see at a wedding reception?

No comments:

Post a Comment