Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Brussel Sprouts, my archnemesis

I did not eat a brussel sprout until I was well into high school, probably 16 or 17 years old. And even when I tried one, eating it was a big mistake. I believe that eating good food is one of the many joys in life, so why would I eat something that does not taste good? And let me tell you, that brussel sprout was disgusting! I took one bite before spitting it out in a napkin and refusing any more. Luckily, we were at a buffet restaurant, therefore, I could simply return to the line and pick another vegetable.

Every few years I make an attempt at cooking brussel sprouts, thinking they can't possibly be as bad tasting as the time that I ate them as a 16 year old. The last time I prepared them, I roasted them with some garlic. They were....okay. Last night I tried a new recipe and I'm pleased to say that while it wasn't my favorite, they were not bad, in fact, I will even admit that I enjoyed eating my sprouts.

Brussel Sprouts in Butter and Walnut Sauce
brussel sprouts
2 tbs butter/margarine/other substitute
walnuts
salt
pepper
paprika

Steam the brussel sprouts for about five minutes until soft. Cover with melted butter and add salt, pepper, and paprika to taste. Sprinkle a few walnuts on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment