Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Italian Inspired Strata

I am pleased to brag and let you all know this recipe is my own creation. I am not claiming that I myself invented the concept of the "strata", of course, which most know and love quite well, but this specific recipe is mine and mine alone. I simply looked up a couple strata recipes and threw in some ingredients I had here at home.

This was the first strata I had ever tried; I've been meaning to attempt one for awhile, but for some reason I thought it would be difficult and beyond my abilities. However, I was wrong. Making a strata is actually quite easy! Of course, I suggest trying all of the recipes on my blog but in particular this one; this is a great, easy recipe to make if you need something to take to a potluck or if you are entertaining during the brunch hour. Or, just make it yourself and keep the leftovers, they should last about a week. But, if you do try the recipe, please let me know how it is!

Italian Inspired Strata
1/2 loaf Italian baguette
1 tomato
2 Italian sausage links
1 zucchini
1/2 red pepper
2 tbs Italian seasoning
1/2 tbs salt
1/2 tbs pepper
5 eggs
2 cups milk
1/4 cup green onion
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
1/2 cup fresh mozzarella

First, prepare all of the ingredients. Start by peeling the skin off of the sausage, crumbling, and cooking. Cut the baguette into one inch cubes. Slice the red pepper and zucchini into small pieces and steam. Slice the green onion and tomato. Also cut the mozzarella into small chunks.

Cover the bottom of the pan using 1/2 of the bread cubes. Top the bread cubes with the cooked sausage, steamed zucchini and red pepper, and Parmesan cheese. On top of that, place the rest of the bread. Now add the tomato and mozzarella cheese.

In a bowl, combine the five eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Pour the mixture over the layered bread and veggies, and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Cook for 45 minutes at 325 degrees; let sit for 10-15 minutes before eating, and then enjoy.

Great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and makes good leftovers. This will be a hit, I promise.


Also, I just saw a previous employer of mine who informed me of another blog that I might enjoy. She was right, it's fantastic, although a little more professional. The wife is an actual chef and the husband is an actual photographer, I might just be an amateur chef/photographer myself but after taking a look at Smitten Kitchen,  I don't think I'm doing too horrible here.

No comments:

Post a Comment