Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Monday, June 14, 2010

Mango Salsa

I apologize for the hiatus. I was in St. Louis visiting my parents and grandparents this weekend, and all the Euchre  playing left little time for blog updates. This also means that since my mom was cooking, I have very few recipes from the past week, but fortunately I have a backlog and also one drink recipe coming up!

Last week, the Millenium Park summer concert series began with a concert by She and Him. The concert was wonderful and the weather was perfect. Since the concert was outdoors, we decided to have a picnic while the concert was going on. So, I brought some mango salsa to share. The recipe was super easy, affordable, and tasty.

Mango Salsa
2 medium, ripe mangos
1 can black beens
1 can yellow corn
fresh cilantro
1 small can green chilies
1/2 can diced tomatoes
juice from 2 limes
5 green onions
salt
cumin
garlic powder

Chop the mangos into small cubed pieces, make sure to take the peel off. Slice the green onions and use the white ends (you can freeze the other end to keep them fresh for use in future recipes). Using a strainer, rince the yellow corn and black beans and add to the recipe. Add the green chilies, tomatoes, and lime juice. Add salt, cumin, and garlic powder to taste. (approximately 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon cumin). Serve with tortilla chips.


Here are a few photos of us enjoying the recipe first hand, on a beautiful Chicago evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment