Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

We cook a lot of pasta and I decided it was time to try something new. Therefore, upon Daniele's return from Japan I decided to try my hand at a traditional Mexican dish: chicken enchiladas. The recipe turned out fantastic, although, it was much more difficult than I thought. With two people, this recipe would have been much easier, but by myself it took about 3 hours. However, it was worth it---these were the best chicken enchiladas I've had and I will make them again for future special occasions!


Chicken Enchiladas
12 inch flour tortillas (6)
3 chicken breasts
olive oil
medium onion
green pepper
oregano
basil
4 oz can green chili peppers
colby cheese (shredded)
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 cup chili powder
2 cups chicken broth
ground cumin
tomato paste
salt
sour cream

Start by making the sauce. This is the most important part of the recipe and what makes the enchiladas so wonderful. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a saucepan. Add 1 tablespoon flour, cook for a minute or so, add chili powder, and cook for another minute. Add chicken stock, 8-10 oz. tomato paste, 1 teaspoon oregano, and 1 teaspoon cumin. Stir, bring to a boil, and cook for 15-20 minutes. Add salt to taste.

Now its time to make the filling. Cook the chicken and chop into small pieces. Also chop the onion and green pepper. In a saucepan, cook onion and green pepper. Add one teaspoon oregano and one teaspoon basil to the mixture. Saute for 5-10 minutes

In an oven-proof dish, coat the bottom with about 3/4 cup enchilada sauce. Dip the tortilla in the sauce, coating both sides. Add a spoonful of chicken, a spoonful of green pepper/onion, a spoonful of green chilis, and a spoonful of cheese. Close and flip over enchilada. Repeat for the rest of the enchiladas and cover the remaining enchiladas with the rest of your homemade sauce and most importantly, lots of cheese. (By now I'm sure your kitchen is a mess and you will need to clean it)

You can prepare this the day before cooking and refrigerate for one day if you want. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve with sour cream.

The recipe is difficult, but could be easily doubled or tripled at not very much increased difficulty. I will probably make this again, with 6 inch tortillas, and bring to a future potluck.

No comments:

Post a Comment