Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Slow Cooker Ginger Chicken

Rarely do I find a slow cooker recipe that I can make impromptu. Typically I look at recipes the week before, pick out one or two, and make sure to get all the ingredients at the store. Not for this guy. For this one, we just so happened to have everything laying around. It was great! We had leftover ginger from a different recipe, and everything else was common kitchen ingredients. Although I tend not to be a huge ginger fan, we gave it a go. This one made me want to try using ginger in a few more of my recipes!

Slow Cooker Ginger Chicken
2 large chicken breasts
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 onion, minced
3 tablespoons minced or grated fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat and brown chicken for 6 minutes, flipping once. Transfer chicken to plate. In the same skillet add onion, 2 tablespoons ginger, and garlic. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stir in flour and coopk for one minute. Whisk in chicken broth and smooth out lumps, transfer mixture to the slow cooker.

Stir soy sauce and sugar in slow cooker, add browned chicken making sure the chicken is coated with the sauce. Cook for 6 hours on low. Before serving, stir in remaining tablespoon of fresh ginger for extra flavor. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Sidedish: We served this with broiled tomatoes and mushrooms. Simply slice tomatoes and mushrooms, sprinkle them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and dry oregano and broil for 5 minutes. Delightful combination!

I realize these aren't the best food photos I've ever taken but trust me this one was good. I have some more 'quality' photos coming...I promise!


No comments:

Post a Comment