Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Meatballs

Meatballs are an Italian favorite. Here in the US we often serve meatballs on top of spaghetti, but Daniele would shudder to hear that I secretly wanted some spaghetti with the wonderful meatballs he cooked.

Seriously though, the meatballs were wonderful by themselves and no spaghetti was necessary to fill me up. The portion was large and the flavor was so rich that I couldn't imagine having eaten these meatballs in any other way then how they were served.

Meatballs
1/3 lb ground beef
1/3 lb ground pork
1/3 lb ground veal
1 egg
4 tbs parmesan cheese
2 tbs bread crumbs
salt
nutmeg
1 can peas
1 can crushed tomatoes
2 cups canola oil

In a bowl, mix together ground meats, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, egg, and a pinch of nutmeg and salt. Form small balls with the mixture and set on a plate. Roll the balls in bread crumbs so they are coated on all sides.  Heat up the canola oil and cook the meatballs for 2 minutes on one side, flip over, and repeat on the other side and then remove from the oil. In a separate pan, heat up the can of crushed tomatoes and a drained can of peas. Put the meatballs in the mixture and cook on low for 20 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy.

Daniele wants me to add that although I thought the tomato and pea mixture was the most perfect way to serve these meatballs (and that is saying a lot because I strongly dislike peas), you can also cook the meatballs the same way, but serve them in a different sauce.







2 comments:

  1. Yum! Daniele must have been inspired when he heard me talking about making kickass meatballs. Only mine were clearly not as kickass as his. Shh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when I make meatballs, they always turn out too soft and squashy.. they end up not much like balls but more like pears!!! maybe that's beacuse I also mix in some old bread after soaking it in milk, and I probably don't drain it enough. But I love them anyway!

    ReplyDelete