Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Onion Bagels

I enjoyed the cinnamon raisin bagels I made just last month, so I decided to give bagels another go. Daniele preferred this kind, since he would rather have savory breads vs. sweet ones. However, I preferred the cinnamon raison version-what can I say? It's the best kind of bagel.

The onion bagels were tasty though and did have one advantage over over the other type: the ability to serve with the leftover smoked salmon from the salmon and cream pasta.

Onion bagels
  • 1 package dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water 
  • 1 small onion, chopped and sauted
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Mix dry yeast with 1 cup warm water and let sit for 10 minutes. Mix in whole wheat flour, salt, and all-purpose flour. Add sauteed onions and mix dough together so it is one consistency. Add water or flour as necessary so that all of the flour is absorbed and the mixture is not too sticky.

Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size (about 1 hour). Boil water in a large pot. While you are waiting, form your dough mixture into balls and poke a hole in the middle. Boil each bagel for 7 minutes, flipping halfway. Dry bagels with a paper towel and then bake at 450 for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with your favorite bagel topping, whether that be peanut butter, nutella, margarine, or cream cheese and lox!




No comments:

Post a Comment