Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Baked Pumpkin Seeds

Happy Halloween! In the spirit of the season, D and I baked some pumpkin seeds last weekend and have been devouring them all week long. D is a big fan of the pumpkin seeds and can eat them for hours on end (sometimes I have to remind him to stop eating them).

We went to a Halloween party last week at which there was a pumpkin carving contest. When I saw all of the pumpkin innards going to waste, I decided that I would collect the innards in order to bake the seeds the next day. So not only did Daniele get to carve his very first pumpkin, but he also got to bake his very first set of pumpkin seeds! In Italy, carving pumpkins is not a custom and pumpkin seeds can be purchased from the store already baked, but few people actually bake the seeds themselves.

So, if you are carving a pumpkin yourself this season, or if you are using a pumpkin as a vegetable for a meal, don't forget to make some pumpkin seeds. Start by taking out all of the innards to the pumpkin and rinsing them in water in order to separate the seeds. Place them on a baking sheet and let them dry overnight.

The next day, place all of the seeds in a bowl. Since D and I had many seeds, we decided to make two different flavors, one spicy and one savory. So, in one bowl we added salt, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning and in the other bowl we added salt, paprika, and cumin. Be generous in the amount of spices you add to your seeds. Place seeds on two separate baking sheets and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Enjoy as a snack!









No comments:

Post a Comment