Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Monday, October 18, 2010

Cinnamon Raisin Bagels

That's right, I made my own bagels! I was excited to take on this project and the bagels turned out fabulous. I will definitely be trying out new variations soon-possibly an egg, wheat, or maybe even onion (or a combo!) bagel to be eaten with cream cheese and smoked salmon.


Cinnamon Raisin Bagels
2 pkg. dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 tbsp. honey
1 tsp. salt
5 c. flour
2 tbsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. raisins
1 gallon water

Start by dissolving the 2 packages of yeast in 1.5 cups of warm water. Wait about 10 minutes until the yeast is bubbling a bit, to make sure it is active. Then, add 2 tbsp honey and 1 tsp salt. Add flour---between 4-6 cups, until the dough is no longer sticking to your fingers. Fold in 1.5 cups raisins and 2 tbsp. cinnamon.

When the dough is of one consistency, roll into 12 balls and poke a hole in the middle of each one. Cover, and let rise for about 45 minutes, until almost doubled in size. Boil 1 about 1 gallon of water in a large pot, and boil the bagels 3 or 4 at a time for 7 minutes each, turning once. Let bagels dry and then bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.Enjoy with cream cheese.

I loved this recipe and was really impressed with the fact that I could actually make homemade bagels. And, they were much better than any bagel I could find in the store or bakery!





1 comment: