Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Ratatoille

I had been eyeing this recipe in my slow cooker cookbook for some time, and when Daniele left for Italy, I knew it was time to give it a shot. This recipe has eggplant (which D does not like) so I wanted to make it for a more approving audience. Coincidentally, the recipe is also vegan and therefore, I was able to invite a friend of mine who is vegan over for dinner. We both enjoyed this version of ratatoille, so much, in fact that I completely forgot to take a picture until the second helping! Sorry about the slightly messier-than-usual photo, but just know it is due to the fact that this recipe was enjoyed immensely!

Ratatoille
  • olive oil
  • 1 eggplant, cut into 1 inch chunks
  • 1 zucchini, cut into 1 inch chunks
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1 red bell pepper, stemmed seeded, and chopped
  • garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 can (12 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup chopped basil
  • salt and pepper
  • parmesan cheese (not added in the vegan version)
Begin by heating olive oil in a skillet and browning eggplant on all sides for about 10 minutes.  Place in slow cooker. Repeat with onions, bell peppers, garlic, and thyme and cook until vegetables are soft and browned. Stir in flour.

Drain tomato juice from the diced tomatoes and add to the skillet. Mix together and pour in slow cooker. Add the rest of the tomatoes to the slow cooker and cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Top with fresh basil, salt and pepper to taste, and Parmesan cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment