Welcome

Welcome to my blog. My blogging journey began about in August 2009 as a photo-a-day blog which has since transitioned to combine my love of good food and photography. Today, using as many local and fresh ingredients as we can, my boyfriend and myself spend time researching recipes, making our own adaptations, cooking, taking photos, eating, and finally reflecting on all or part of the above listed process here. I hope you take the time to not only read and look at our photos, but please cook some of the recipes yourself. You are invited and encourage to leave feedback as we continue our culinary journey!

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Apples Fritters

When I was a kid and we went to Dunkin Donuts, I would always ask for an apple fritter. This was, by far, my favorite pastry. So when Daniele suggested that we make apple fritters with our fresh apples, it seemed like a natural choice. I was a bit intimidated at first, because I thought making apple fritters would be difficult. They are time consuming to make, but not difficult, and we enjoyed sharing the product with friends for the next few days after making the recipe.

Apple Fritters
4 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 quart oil
powdered sugar

In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Beat eggs and milk in a separate bowl and then mix together the dry and wet mixtures so that everything is one consistency. Fold in apples that have been cored, peeled, and chopped.

Heat up one quart oil. Add large spoonfuls of mixture to the oil and fry for about 5-10 minutes until cooked thoroughly. Be cautious as you fry your fitters, as you could burn yourself.

Leave the fritters out for a few hours ---if you put them in a container right away they will retain moisture. Before eating, sprinkle with powdered sugar.







1 comment: